The first documents in which you mention a “Castellum” and a “Castrum” Poles back 1254 and 1330 when Palo appear, respectively, as the property of Norman and the Monks of St. Saba. It built probably in the Pope Pius The Piccolomini, Pope appointed 19 August 1458, the Castle, following the conflict barons of the fifteenth century. who they saw involved the House Orsini, It was demolished and “dirutum” when, in 1509, Prospero D’acquasparta the sold in the name of Giulio Orsini Donna Felice Orsini of Oak, with its Held, for the sum of 9 000 ducats.
Substantial repairs were carried out, between 1513 and 1521, at the behest of Leo X he used to live in the castle during his hunting in the woods of Palo.
The inscriptions left outstanding on the ceilings, windows and doors are a eloquent testimony. In a volume of ‘Archives of Treasury Apostolic, which are noted the private expenditure of Leo X, says the Pope It used to work at Palo, the work of Leno and Giulian Gian Francesco da Sangallo. During the decade 1560-70, the Castle of Palo It was among the coastal fortifications that suffered significant changes by program reordering defensive Papal State. It is in these years that the Castle, in all probability, was equipped with a front bastion-like Bracciano. In 1563, in fact, Pius V decreed that they were strengthened coastal towers and in a document dated 1567, entitled “Short sumario towers that have to do “lists, including those that must be built or restored, Astura, Civitavecchia, Ostia, Palo and Santa Severa.
In 1573 Paolo Giordano Orsini sold the Castle to Cardinal Alessandro Farnese to 25. 000 shields, but returned shortly after to Orsini to which it returned in 1589.